Saturday, June 9, 2012

Be the Sea of Galilee


The Sea of Galilee


Going to Sunday School used to be normal when I was growing up.  My parents would drag me to church and drop me off as they headed to 11:00am worship service.  I didn't always like it, but that didn't seem to matter.  I was going!

One of the things I remember being taught was this comparison between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea.  For those of you who did not go to Sunday School, these two bodies of water lie within the borders of the "Holy Land" or Israel, the land promised to the Hebrews/Israelites/Jews thousands of years ago by God.



If you remember, the Sea of Galilee is also known as the "Kinneret," "Lake Gennesaret," or "Lake Tiberias.  


If you also remember, the Sea of Galilee is not a lake at all, but a fresh water lake that is fed from both underground springs and the Jordan River, which runs from north to south.  It is the second largest body of water in Israel.


The Sea of Galilee is the scene for many of the major New Testament events, including the calling of St. James, St. John, St. Peter and St. Andrew and the great catch of fish, calming of the sea, walking on water, the feeding of the 5,000, and the Sermon on the Mount to name a few.



St. Peter's Fish


The largest body of water in Israel is the Dead Sea.  The Dead Sea is not a sea either, but also a lake... a very salty lake.  The Dead Sea is the last stop of the Jordan River and has no outlets or run offs.  The Dead Sea is the largest hypersaline lake in the world and is 8.6 times saltier than the ocean.


File:DeadSea3667.jpg
The harsh Dead Sea with salt crystals formed on the shore and cliffs.

My Sunday School teachers used to tell us that we should strive to be the Sea of Galilee and not the Dead Sea.  They said that the Sea of Galilee both receives water and gives water, while the Dead Sea only receives water and gives nothing and is therefore dead.

Likewise, in the New Testament, it was shown to us that the St. Paul the Apostle was mentored by St. Barnabas, and St. Paul, in turn, mentored Saints Mark, Timothy and Titus.

St. Paul was like the Sea of Galilee... he was filled but also filled others.

I was reminded of this as I was driving out of the parking lot at Ballistics Fitness in Springdale, Arkansas.  I had just been completely schooled for an hour, under the watchful eyes of RKC trainers Derek Miller and Marcie Whalen, and realized that this is part of what has been missing in my life....  "When the students are ready the master will appear".

I have been fortunate to have positive mentors in my life starting with my dad, Lou Rojas, who showed and continues to show me what love and patience really mean.  When I got to Biola University, theology student, Rich Orrell and professor, Dr.Chris Grace were a few that helped me along the way.  During my time in the Navy, it was former Naval Aviator and USAF Pararescueman, Bill Estes.  At Regent University it was Director of Public Relations, Baxter Ennis and the multi-talented professor, Dr. Lou Lloyd-Zaninni.  In my current job, I have been blessed to work for long-time strength & conditioning coach, Tim Weiss, who was in Nebraska when weight training started in college football (he is also the best principal in the world!).  More than once, Mr. Weiss has lovingly put me in my place!

Professionally, I have and continue to seek out experts in their fields.  In my failed pursuit to be a frogman, I had my good friend "Lucky" teach me the sidestroke.  When I started coaching football, I twice paid my own way (when I was making $25K/year) to the USC Coaches Clinic to hear Head Coach, Pete Carroll and Strength & Conditioning Coach, Chris Carlisle.  During this same time, when I was still a "CrossFitter" I used to email Coach Josh Everett at UC Riverside and long-time strength Coach Bill Grotenrath at College of the Desert.  Just recently, I went down to again hear Chris Carlisle at Subiaco Academy in Central Arkansas, who followed Pete Carroll to the Seattle Seahawks.

Pete Carroll gives something back.

Conversely, as a teacher, coach and father, I get the privelidge of working with, teaching and mentoring young people.  It is a great honor and helps my soul from becoming a stagnant and dead place.

Our country is full of people that take and take and yet never give back to others.  I am not talking about giving money, which is important too, but giving your energy and attention to a person that needs it.  Don't get me started about these overzealous pet owners who treat their pets better than we treat actual human beings.

Sorry, doing a workout for some cause is not as hard or effective as going and getting alongside someone that needs someone to talk to.  Nice to see everyone wearing those "Wounded Soldier" t-shirts or whatever... the next time you feel the tug on your soul, go to the VA hospital and volunteer.


Simulcra and Simulation???

We would do well to temper our enthusiasm for our hobbies and vicarious lives lived through spectator sports and find true meaning in living a life serving others.... "My cup runneth over".

No comments:

Post a Comment